LIMITING GOVERNMENT

 

“You hire a Painter to paint your house. After getting instructions, the Painter prepares the house, paints the house, and cleans up. The Painter is then done. You pay and thank the Painter. The Painter does NOT move into your house, live there, and paint forever…” 

 

Regulatory Agencies

 

For more than forty (40) years, the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA – founded by President Nixon [R] in 1970), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA – founded by President Nixon [R] in 1970), and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC – founded 1975, when President Eisenhower’s [R] Atomic Energy Commission was divided into the Department of Energy and the NRC) have been absolutely exemplary in developing regulations protecting worker safety, the environment, and the peaceful use of nuclear technology. These are three (3) excellent examples, but not a complete list (i.e., Federal Communications Commission, et al), of regulatory agencies created for targeted specific purposes.

 

These regulatory agencies have exhaustively studied, at considerable expense, all aspects of technology and how to best protect workers, the environment, and the public, for more than 40 years – and basically issued regulations for an entire generation.

 

The Freedom Party, supports and appreciates the 40-year effort of each of these agencies, and calls for these agencies to reorganize in 2017. Approximately 80% of agency personnel should be released (calculated based on 2000 staffing levels), with the remaining 20% dedicated to ensuring ENFORCEMENT of those regulations.

 

To avoid confusion: the Freedom Party strongly supports worker safety, protecting the environment, and public safety! We do NOT recommend eliminating regulatory agencies: we recommend now moving them in their natural evolution to a “Regulatory Enforcement Agency” to ensure the excellent regulations, which have taken 40 YEARS to finalize, are actually implemented.

 

Similarly, almost all current outstanding regulatory research study programs within these agencies should be ended (i.e., if we have not gotten a definitive answer yet and have gotten by for 40 years without that answer, we can probably live without it).

 

If new special projects are prudent for any of these regulatory agencies, Congress should specifically hold hearings and pass targeted one-time legislation with a hard sunset date on a case-by-case basis (i.e., project completed by the due date or else all personnel/management working on the project are held accountable and  terminated for-cause).

 

After 40 years, it is now time for the “Painter” to get a bipartisan round of applause for a job very well done, and for the “Painter” to go home.

 

Service Agencies

 

The majority of government agencies are “service oriented” such as Department of Education, Department of Veterans Affairs, Immigration and Naturalization Service, Parks Service, National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration, Social Security Administration, et al. These agencies should have their staff’s and budget’s limited as follows: Staff limited to population increases/decreases in their applicable service group; Budget limited to the cost of doing business for their applicable service group.

 

For example, if the number of veterans increases/decreases, then the Veteran Administration would grow/decrease in staff and budget proportionally.

 

For all service agencies, only funds specifically authorized by Congress on a case-by-case basis can be used for special studies. As an example, the Department of Education seems to be the least educated Federal agency, as evidenced by the size and scope of its continual need to reassess curriculums and textbooks [Note: We base this observation on the fact that Elementary-High School Math, Science, Geography, Literature, Civics, and 96% of US/World History have not changed in any substantive way in the past 10 years – so making revisions on only a fixed 5 or 10 year cycle appears prudent].

 

Congress, the Supreme Court, and the White House

 

The Freedom Party notes that all three primary branches of government have more people working for them than ever before. As evidenced by any news report on any day, we note that this “over-population” of government has led to mischief and waste.

 

We support an immediate “across the board” cut in all Office Staffs/Budgets as follows: Congressional Office Staffs/Budgets by fifty percent (50%); Judicial Staffs/Budgets by fifteen percent (15%); and White House Staffs/Budgets of sixty percent (60%).

 

“Budget” includes all costs including salaries, retirement obligations, consumables, maintenance, consultants, expenses, and travel. “Staff” includes all personnel drawing direct salaries or contract payments.